Happy Black History Month everyone! This month, I am here to help you guys get into the spirit of Black History Month by sharing 20 quotes by different African American men and women! Even if you aren’t African American, that doesn’t mean that you can’t celebrate Black History month but please be considerate about this time period and everything that African Americans had to overcome in order to be where we are today!
First, I want to start off with this:
This is Google and they have a little image of four African American men who are participating in a sit-in. It’s called the Greensboro sit-in and today marks the 60th anniversary! I wanted to include this because it really shows the significance of these four individuals standing up for their rights and making history by sitting in an all white restaurant.
Anyways, like I promised, here are 20 quotes from African American men and women:
- “I’ve failed over and over in my life. And that is why I succeed.” ~ Michael Jordan
- “I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed.” ~ Booker T. Washington
- “I want to be remembered as someone who used herself and anything she could touch to work for justice and freedom…I want to be remembered as one who tried. ” ~ Dorothy Height
- “When you’ve worked hard and done well, and walked through that doorway of opportunity, you do not slam it shut behind you. You reach back.” ~ Michelle Obama
- ” ‘
T’wantme, ‘ twasthe Lord.” I always told him, ‘I trust toyou. I don’t know where to go or what to do, but I expect you to lead me.’ And he always did.” ~ Harriet Tubman
- “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” ~ Maya Angelou
- “A man’s character always takes its hue, more or less, from the form and color of things about him.” ~ Frederick Douglass
- “Intelligence plus character, that is the goal of true education.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
- “The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.” ~ Malcolm X
- “I never really look for anything. What God throws my way comes. I wake up in the morning and whichever way God turns my feet, I go.” ~ Pearl Bailey
- “Your knowledge, your education, is your No. 1. Your husband may leave you, but what you have in your mind will never leave you.” ~ Miriam Makeba
- “I am not ashamed of my past. I am not ashamed of my humble beginning.” ~ Madame CJ Walker
- “It’s easy to be independent when you’ve got money. But to be independent when you haven’t got a thing- that’s the lord test.” ~ Mahalia Jackson
- “There is no short cut to achievement.” ~ George Washington Carver
- “If you are silent about your pain, they’ll kill you and say you enjoyed it.” ~ Zora Neale Hurston
- “Whatever we believe about ourselves and our ability comes true for us.” ~ Susan L. Taylor
- “Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a
broken wingedbird that cannot fly.” — Langston Hughes
- “Never be limited by other people’s limited imaginations.” — Dr. Mae Jemison
- “If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life.” — Marcus Garvey
- “You can never know where you are going unless you know where you have been.” — Amelia Boynton Robinson
I hope you all enjoyed all of those quotes! I hope everyone makes the best of their Black History Month!