Happy Library Lovers’ Month! I LOVE my library and I’m so glad that there is a month dedicated to Library Lovers!
My library is the Charles E. Miller Branch of the Howard County Library System in Ellicott City, Maryland.
Here are 14 reasons why I love my library:
- Books, Books, Books! Books everywhere and a huge selection.
- You can check out 30 physical books at one time. That’s 30 books per library card holder. Each member in my family has a card including me! We do not get this many books at one time but it feels good not to feel restricted.
- The library has an impressive online resource area where we can reserve ebooks and audiobooks.
- It’s very peaceful and quiet. It is a great place to go to when you need a quiet and peaceful area to focus.
- The Librarians and Aides are extremely helpful and resourceful. I’m sure this is true every where but I think mine are the best!
- The kids area is very cool. I like the colors they used to decorate this area. This area also has it’s own computers. I think soon I will be officially graduated from the kids section and will find more books I like in the Teen Space.
- There are plenty of sitting areas. There are sitting areas in the main lobby before going into the actual library, snack bar, kids section, teen space, computer room, in rooms you can reserve, the upstairs courtyard area, magazine area, and many other areas.
- My library hosts many programs such as book clubs, gardening, battle of the books, STEM activities and much more.
- My library has a garden area and has many gardening programs in the spring and summer. This year, I think I will sign up for one since I’m now really into gardens especially indoor gardens.
- We have a snack bar. I think it’s very smart and creative to have one of these so you can get a quick snack without leaving the library if you need one. It also has vending machines which is helpful.
- The lighting. Upstairs, where I typically like to go, has a lot of windows which allows natural light into the library. I just love it. I don’t like dull lighting.
- You can reserve books online. They send you an email when your book is available for pick up.
- They have kiosks where you can check out books on your own.
- We have a cool automated drive thru book return window where you place your books on the return conveyor and the books are auto scanned in as it travels through the library wall. My mom loves this because we DO NOT have to go in the library to return books when we have other errands to run. The book return drive thru window is open 24 hours a day!
Below are pictures from my last visit:
A couple of other great things about my library is that it’s an environmentally friendly green building and it hosts the Howard County farmers market every week during the Spring, Summer and Fall.
I’m really proud of my library and feel very fortunate that my community values the importance of having a great library system.
~ Happy Library Lovers’ Month!